Ask an expert

24 Nov 2005

I have a headache for more than 2 weeks now with neck and muscle stiffness. My doctor said it is tension but I feel it can be something els. I also have headache on my rightside of my head.
Please advise.
Answer 304 views
Headache expert
Headache expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Willem,

Muscle tension is one of the most common causes of head and neck pain, but there are many other thing that may be involved as well. If it is muscle tension, then the chances are very good that it can be treated without having to take medication. But we have to be sure that it is muscle tension, and we have to be sure that there isn’t some other problem as well. If we only treat part of the problem your chances of being pain free are far smaller.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.