Question

Headaches/withdrawal
I started getting headaches 20 years ago and usually took Panado. After a while the Panado did not work anymore and I started taking Syndol. I did not realize at that stage that because of the codeine in Syndol, I could become addicted to the codeine.

I kept on searching for an answer for years and trief every medication and treatment possible.

The Latest: I just spent 6 days in a Medi Clinic taking Subutex to get off of the codeine. This is the second time if gone through this. The previous time I tried I started using Adcodol again, because I get terrible PMT headaches.

The Subutex worked wonderfully, but my doctor took me off of it on Monday, because he did not want to exchange one addiction for another.

I still have headaches, but have been told not to take Adcodol, because I'll be right back where I started. I understand this, but there is no alternative. I had a terrible headache yesterday and I'm having a terrible headache today.

I'm going to be starting some shrink sessions to teach me Pain Management, but I'm in pain NOW and I feel so desperate. I can't take the codeine again because it was really working anymore anyway and was not making my headaches much better.

I just feel so desperate and I don't want to live if this is what I'm left with. My pain tollerance is very low. I don't even know if I still have genuine headaches or if this is just rebound headaches that my body is bringing on to get codeine. Shouldn't the Subutex have worked?

Dear Moonbeam,
Try going to a physiotherapist for the headaches – it is often muscle spasm related especially if something like Adcodol works well for it. It makes a huge difference after a treatment or two. Ask her to show you what to do when you get these headaches ( stretches, hot packs etc) as it is too expensive to go to the physio everytime you get the headache. I usually only go back if nothing I try helps! Rather try and avoid certain pain medications like Syndol, Grandpa, Adcodol, Stilpayne etc as this can eventually cause the headaches in the long term. Neurofen does not contain codeine and may be a safer option to use if you don’t have a sensitive stomach or allergies against anti-inflammatories.