Ask an expert

28 Jul 2011

Is there such a thing as a magic pill to stop my binging &  purging? Tired therapy, hypnosis, alternative name there a rehab for people who binges &  vomit?
Want to get out of this nightmare but keep on doing it numerous times daily..scared
Answer 768 views
Eating Disorders Expert
Eating Disorders Expert

01 Jan 0001

Hello Anonymous,
I'm sorry I am not able to respond to questions very regularly, but you appear to have already received some sound advice from other readers. I can confirm that there is certainly no magic pill/medication for bulimia, but Fluoxetine (Prozac, Nuzac, in quite high dosage is the conservative choice of medication, given that it assists in decreasing impulse control behaviours. In other words, it will chemically assist in your attempts to decrease behaviors that are impulsive, like bingeing. However, medication alone will seldom be enough. Research has shown that therapy is more effective than medication alone, but therapy in combination with medication can be the most effective. Most patients should be able to benefit from outpatient treatment, but you would be advised to make use of a specialist in the area (eating disorders). If inpatient care is requires, again, I advise that you seek the services of a specialist unit, of which there are very few in the country. State facilities exist at TARA (Jhb) and Tygerberg Hospital (Cape Town). The only specialist Eating Disorders Units within the private sector are the two Crescent Clinics in Cape Town and Randburg. I was part of the team that started the first private clinic unit at Kenilworth Clinic in 1994, but we moved the unit to Crescent Clinic in Cape Town 8 years later, where we still run the programme today. No other clinic or hospital in the Cape has an eating disorders unit. If you email me, I will happily direct you to a facility in your area. My address is in my profile.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.