Question

healthy cheap foods for cholestrol
How do u buy food with R600 for a family of 4) that is healthy enough to control a high cholestrol (Child 12 yrs). She won't eat any beans stuff.

Dear Miami
I feel for you because this is a very tight budget you have to work with. I can only suggest that you concentrate on giving her and the rest of the family fresh fruit and vegetables (buy in bulk to save money), low-fat milk and yoghurt (make your own yoghurt if possible), unprocessed cereals and grains (unsifted maize meal, oats, Maltabella, brown rice, wholewheat bread), small portions of lean meat, use fish including tinned fish more regularly, have 'meatless' days and include 4 eggs per week per person as allowed by the Heart Foundation. Use Lite or Flora pro-activ margarine (the latter is expensive, but it can lower cholesterol levels by up to 30%) and try getting your child to like foods like baked beans on wholewheat toast.