Question

Healthy diet for 4 year old
My 4 year old son was diagnosed as a severe allergic child when he was 7 months old. We couldnt determine exactly what causes his allergic reactions but realised that cutting out his baby porridge and substituting it with mealie meal porridge made a significant impact on his restless behaviour , stomach cramps, running & blocked nose and his asthma. We also found that we had to eliminate most coloured medicines especially red, blue, green and orange coloured ones as well as sweets containing these colourants. He is now 4 years old and has developed constipation to such an extent that he had a blocked tummy and had to have a barium meal & x rays when he was 3 years old. He refuses to eat anything else but the following: Rice, french loaf bread ( not usual bread at all), mealie meal porridge, frequently a boiled egg (yolk only), craker bread,slap tjips,chicken nuggets, fish fingers and biscuits (the latter usually leaves him with stomach cramps.and severe irritability). He eats no other meat, absolutely no veggies or fruits. Most of the times he complains of pains in his legs and arms, is irritable and iether constipated or having diarrhoea. What do I do to get him to eat healthy and get enough fibre in his diet if he eats such a restricted diet?

Dear Maggie
I agree that you do have a problem and would like to strongly suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings)), who will help you a) work out what the child is really allergic to b) with support and advice to get your son to start eating foods that improve his peristalsis. Self-diagnosis does not help and I think the lad needs help to sort out his various dietary problems.