Question

Healthy diet for smoker
Dear DietDoc

My husband smokes about 20 cigarettes a day. He has tried numerous times to quit, but so far without success. While I cannot make him stop, I can feed him a healthy diet.

Are there vitamins or nutrients that he should be getting more of than a non-smoker? Any other tips on what to feed him?

Please let me know
Sara

Dear Sara
It is really advisable that your husband should stop this habit, but I do understand that if he is not motivated then these is just so much you can do. If you click on 'Diet & Food' and then on 'Old Diet & Food articles' at the left bottom of the page you will see a whole series of articles on 'Balanced Diet'. There are actually special vitamin and mineral supplements designed for smokers - ask you chemist.
Good luck with the persuasion!