Question

Heart
Dear Doc
I'm a 28 year old female,for the past month or so I've noticed that, when I go to bed to sleep and sometimes during the night I will wake up with a pain in my chest. Specifically on my left side. During the day I hardly get it but if I do, its a pain and then afterwards it feels like bad heart burn. Could there be something wrong? I'm otherwise ok, the last time I went to the GP he just said that I had poor blood circulation because I have varicose veins in my legs. Please could you give me your opinion as it's really sore and I'm just a bit concerned.
Thank You.

Lynel, it might be due to a back problem or a hiatus hernia, but I can’t say for sure that it isn’t your heart. The best would be for you to e-mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za so that I can send you something on the “other than heart” causes of chest pain. If the pain comes during exercise or stress, you should see a cardiologist ASAP. Good luck.