Ask an expert

23 Dec 2002

Heart Block
I had, according to the doctor I had I second degree heart block. It all happened last week Thursday morning just after I had my regular Gym session. My Gym session is of high impact and twice a day. I was in hospital for two days. I got such a fright I don’t think I want to go back to the Gym again. I know it is not the answer but that is how I feel. I am 47 weight is 80kg and practice really hard. My hard rate at rest is below 60. I am not a professional athlete I just like to keep myself in shape. My main sport is mountain biking. My question is what can I do to prevent it.

Thank you
Answer 357 views

01 Jan 0001

Andre, the best would be to see a cardiologist and have a stress ECG done. He will be able to tell you how severe the heart block is and if treatment is necessary. If treatment is necessary you will have to take a tablet every day, but there is no reason to stop gyming. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17921 votes