Question

heart bypass changed his personality
My husband had a heart bypass 2 years ago. His personality changed completely since then. He use to be considerate, loving and caring now he is so selfish and bombastic. He use to be very patient with the kids, now they irritate him. Is this common after an operation of this nature? What can I do to 1. Understand why he changed? 2. Avoid conflict. 3. To help him.?

Deoending on the exact surgical procedure, the experience and skill of the wole team involved, etc., it is possible that in some cases there might be a relative shortage of oxygen to the brain or some other physical but very mild brain damage, otherwise ( sometimes as well ) there is reasily a major psychological shock involved in experiencing such major surgery. And pure depression is indeed quite common following heart surgery, and can cause such symptoms, too. This can make a person more irritable and thoughtless in social interactions.
Does he notice anything changed ? ( He'd need to be asked about this very delicately ) - are there things he finds more difficult since the operation, including worse concentration, and irritability ? He may be persuaded to see a psychiatrist or perhaps a neurologist for a proper assessment of his mental state, and there could be treatments that could remedy this, depending on the identified diagnosis.