Question

heart palpetations

I am 21 (female) I suffer from very low blood pressure, and often suffer from heart pulpetations, sometimes my heart beats so fast that i get nausious. It doesnt happen after a particilar event like excercising or running. it happens even when i am asleep.

My Gp says it is because my body isnt producing blood fast enough and my blood pressure is very low so my heart pumps faster so that there isnt a lack of oxcygen. Sometimes i get a pain just under my left breast when my heart starts beatign so fast.

PLEASE tell if i have anything to worry about,

P.S i was born with a murmur on my heart but have not any problems until about a year and half ago... I do smoke socially...
HeartDoc

********
Dear *******,
You may have something to worry about, but I cannot say for sure until you have been properly examined and investigated by a cardiologist.

You do not say what heart murmur you have, nor what problems you have developed in the last year and a half. However, the fact that you do have a heart problem, and now have some chest pain, and most importantly an irregular pulse, means that you definitely do need to see a cardiologist.

Your GP is correct in saying that if your BP is low, or if you are anaemic, your heart will have to work harder and faster to keep your body supplied with enough oxygen. But in your case, there is more to it than that. You have an anatomical abnormality on top of the “normal” state of affairs, so you have potentially double the strain on your heart.

Please get to a cardiologist. If the specialist can reassure you that your palpitations are “normal” under the circumstances, then he can simply put you on some form of treatment to slow down your heart rate. Don’t take a GP’s word for it. Your GP has a valuable role to play, but he is not a cardiologist.

If you can, please stop smoking right now. You will place extra strain on your heart and lungs, and they are already having to cope with plenty. Also, if you should need heart surgery in the future, you will be at a terrible disadvantage if you are a smoker, and will not do well under anaesthetic and may develop lung complications.

Good luck.

HeartDoc.