Question

Heart Rate
Hi - I would like to know what do I need to get my Heart Rate up to for effective fat burning during my Cardio Workouts. I currently weight 62kg and have a resting heart rate of 58 BPM.
FitnessDoc(wow)

Hi Tracey

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will get all the info you need as well as weekly monitoring. If you prefer a home-based programme, then log onto the same site but go into the fitness section and you'll find "Shape up for Summer". There are many different cardiovascular options with great goals from which to choose, as well as a range of resistance exercises you can do from home.

Don't worry about only working out in a particular heart rate zone for fat-burning. Fat burning occurs at varying intensities, and the key is to be able to get a good workout at an intensity you can manage. Don't be caught up with the idea that if you train at low intensity, you will burn more fat - this is not true. At a higher intensity, you might burn proportionately less fat (as a percentage than other fuels), but because you are burning more energy per minute, it actually works out at MORE grams of fat per minute than at a low intensity. However, not every session should be hard - vary your sessions.

Good luck.