Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Oral health expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
17 Feb 2003
Could you please tell me how to calculate the resting heart rate and the normal heart rate. Many thanks.
RESTING HEART RATE
You should rest for at least 5 minutes in a seated position before assessing your resting heart rate. This measurement can be made as follows:
In using this technique, the pulse can be palpated at:
a) the radial artery - on the anterolateral aspect of the wrist in line with the base of the
b) the carotid artery - in the neck just lateral to the larynx (voice box).
1. Use the tip of the middle and index fingers. Do not use the thumb because it has its own
pulse that can result in an inaccurate measurement.
2. If palpating the carotid artery, do not apply heavy pressure to the area.
3. Start the stopwatch simultaneously with the beat of the pulse. Count the first beat at
zero, then continue counting for 60 seconds.
A normal resting heart rate can be anything from 35 - 100 beats per minute.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19 immunity: How long does it last?
- The recovery of your brain depends greatly on sleep, and it cannot be replaced by rest
- Oxford scientists: How we developed our Covid-19 vaccine in record time
- Long Covid: A young doctor's battle with lingering effects has cast doubt on her career
- Will vaccines work against the new Covid variants? Scientists race to find out.
- EXCLUSIVE | It's who you know - ex-cops score big in Crime Intelligence PPE scandal
- Adriaan Basson | My predictions and wishes for 2021
- Crime Intelligence's decade of crisis
- Covid-19: Elderly losing the will to live in lockdown 'prison'
- One of SA's largest funeral homes sees 300% increase in funerals in the Eastern Cape in December
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18609 votes