Question

heart rate
My father''s blood pressure is 128 over 88: He is 79 years old. His heart rate is 148. Should I be concerned about his heart rate? What does it mean? Thanking you.

Hi Phyllis

It's high, certainly. I'd question how it was measured? Was that measured during the BP test? Because then it may mean little, it might be a consequence of the test. I'd consider perhaps having it measured in other situations. ANd of course, the safest bet of all is to have a stress ECG done, or a physical with a specialist, to be safe rather than sorry. It's impossible to gauge based on HR alone. His blood pressure is OK, no problem there, but that heart rate is high nd it may be worth looking at further.