Ask an expert

28 Jun 2010

Dear doc,

I''m really concerned. I have recently put on a lot of weight +/- 10kgs (height 1.68m and weight 80kgs)and am now in the overweight category. With this weight gain, I experience severe heartburn. Sometimes its heartburn followed by a burning sensation throoughout my chest and pain under my ribcage. I am trying desperately hard to lose this weight in a hope of relieving these symptoms. My concern is could this be a hernia. I am worried about that


Answer 410 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Anne
The only way to confirm a hernia is to have a gastroscopy ( scope of the esophagus) done by a gastroenterologist. You may need to take an acid supressing medication like Nexiam, so please speak to your doctor?
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.