Question

heat headache???
hello. i live in pmb and you all know how hot it gets here, now i never used to get headaches other than when my eyes needed testing. since i've lived here whenever it is hot i get the most awful headaches, the feel like migranes with the spots, the nausea and all. my body also hurts. is this just a migrane because of the heat, or what? it doesn't happen in winter, and what i eat makes no difference.

i have been to a doctor who blamed stress and my diet which it is clearly not, futher than that he couldn't help me.

i would appreciate any help
thanks.
Headache expert
Headache expert

Dear ALLEY-C,

Heat is a well known trigger of migraines, but it is just a trigger. In other words the heat is triggering off some underlying problem that is there all the time waiting for it to be activated. If the underlying problem is identified and treated, then heat will no longer trigger the migraines.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.