Question

heavy numb legs
Dear Doc
Please can you help me. I dont have a medical aid and am staying on my own with no other help etc. I am a 55 year old woman, heavy smoker, and I had a mastectomy about 8 years ago. I had ductal carcinoma.

Since April I noticed on and off from late afternoon my legs would feel a bit heavy and numb. As it was there some day and some days not I did not give it too much attention. However it has progressed to the stage now that every afternoon from about 5pm my legs feel so heavy it feels like I am pulling two men around with me. It is really a horrible feeling, makes me feel exhausted. I have to literally drag or shuffle along. I am not overweight at all I weigh 55Kg.
I cant even say if they are swollen because i never pay much attention to how my legs look, but think they may be a bit puffy. It is a heavy, numb feeling which is making me a cripple once I get home from work. I dont have any medical aid and am battling so cannot run off to have xrays etc.

In the morning they are alright again and then it starts in the afternoon. Please help!!!

GE

Dear GE
You may have early signs of kidney disease or heart failure and you have to let a doctor look at it to prevent permanent damage. Your local provincial hospital will be able to diagnose this at the out patients department or you can visit a GP. You will probably need a general medical examination, maybe a x/ray and maybe a blood test.