Ask an expert

09 Aug 2007

I finished my studies last year - am 23 years old... and a comfort eater!!! I find my job really stressful and I picked up 10 k's in 6 months! I was never fat in my whole life and now I can't even fit into a 38 anymore!!!! I feel so depressed everyday... It feels as if my life has come to an end. I see all these nice clothes in the shops but I don't look good in anything because of my hips and tummy. I joined SURESLIM a few months ago (I have been on Weigh-Less but the weight-loss took too long so I stopped) and I can't seem to stay on it for longer than a day! I can't drink water in the winter - I really battle with that. THe more I get stressed at work the more junk food I eat! I think I am addicted to food!! :)

Must I start with diet-pills for the first 3 weeks - will that make it easier? WHAT MUST I DO!!! I've tried everything and all seems to fail! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Answer 351 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Depressed
If you are depressed then this could be the reason for the comfort eating and the gain in weight. Depression can cause massive weight gain and hamper weight loss. I would, therefore recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist (ask your gp to refer you or look in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists') so that you can get this problem sorted out because no diet is going to work if you are struggling with depression. Once you have the depression and comfort eating sorted out, then go back to Weigh-Less and stick to their diet - it is balanced and the whole idea is to change your eating habits, not to cause instant weight loss followed by instant weight gain. Also avoid all diet pills as they can have the most serious side-effects and could interfere even more with your emotional state. Do start doing as much aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) as possible - 30 or more minutes a day will not only promote weight loss, but also improve your mood.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.