Ask an expert

13 Aug 2008

4 months ago I moved to Australia, so while I was on holiday I picked up a bit of weight. Now I am trying to lsoe it but nothing is working. I exercise daily and try eat very healthy but nothing is working.
For breakfast I have cereal or oats. For lunch sandwich or crackers or left overs. For dinner meat and veg and potato or rice. I snack on fruit throughout the day. I have the occasional glass of wine and sweet thing but surely everyone does?
I do about 30minutes of cardio and 30minutes weight training as well as walking, cycling and skipping. I exercise about 3 to 4 times per week.
I am 166cm in height and weigh about 62kg. I use to weigh about 56kg. I just want to lose those 6 kg.
I am also always bloated.
I do have a terrible self confidence so I hate looking in the mirror as I consider myself fat, but I just want to lose a bit of weight.
I drink about 2 litres of water per day.
What am I doing wrong?
Answer 379 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Eager to Lose
Your present BMI = 22,5 which is actually only 2 kg above the absolute ideal for your height, so because your weight is not only within the normal range, but very close to ideal, you will struggle to lose those 2 kg. Don't aim for 56 kg, as this will only frustrate you and not be ideal. The diet you describe is not really well balanced, so click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet. However the fact that you are doing exercise is excellent and if you persevere with the diet and the physical activity you will lose those 2 kg. Bloating can be caused by a wide variety of factors - irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, gastric reflux, food intolerance and allergies, gallbladder disease, etc - so it may be a good idea to have a medical examination to determine which one of these factors is causing your condition. Once we have a diagnosis we can make changes to your diet.
Hang in there
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17885 votes