Question

hELP

My boyfriend and I have recently broken up. We have a 2year old daughter together. He hasn''t been there half the time but it seems that he wants to take her away from me.

She is on his surname and his medical aid and this really stresses me out. He does not maintain further than this.

What can I do?

Family law expert
family law expert

There is absolutely no way any court will grant an order giving your ex full parental rights inclusive of being the parent of primary residence, unless it is in the interest of the child to do so. Gathering from the facts you gave, I can see no reason why you should worry about the threat he has made. Both of you do have joint parental rights, but given the age of the child, I doubt whether he will get more than supervised access at this point in time. I would suggest that you lodge a care and contact dispute via the children's court and request that a parenting plan be implemented.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za