Question

HELP ASSEBLIEF!!! WIL GEWIG VERLOOR
Good day. I used to weigh 52kg, even after my daughters (2nd child) birth. I slowly gained weight from the age of 30. I weigh a total of 79kg!!! I just started gym 8 weeks ago. I' m on and off diets, eg. Weigh - Less, Portion plan diet, etc. I would like to know how save the Cohen diet is? I don' t want to be unhealthy, so I' m a bit carefull. I do not take any meds for dieting, no slimming mixtures, etc. I must admit that I' m not very patient and want a quick fix. It' s just as if I don' t see any results, even though I try my best. I' m not a big Protein eater and nor do I like steamed veggies a lot. I' m really depressed and I' m starting to think about slimming mixtures and not eat at all. Please help me!! I' m on the following meds, if that would make a difference : Cipralex 10mg x2 per day, Seroqual 25mg x1 per day and started Lamictin 100mg a week ago. I' m also taking Geanette 35 birthcontrol.

Dear Lara
The medications can make a great deal of difference and they and the depression you may be suffering from can be the cause of your weight gain. Antidepressants and/or birth control pills can either cause weight gain or weight loss depending on the individual reaction of the patient. I think you need to discuss your weight gain with the dr who is treating you to see if you can adjust the medications and perhaps use another type of birth control. By chopping and changing diets all the time you have probably activated what is called the 'Yo-Yo dieting syndrome" where you lose weight and then regain it and more. Each time you do this, you disrupt your metabolism even more and it gets harder and harder to lose weight. There is no quick fix to weight loss. If you go on the Cohen diet and don't like protein you will not succeed again! Please for your own sake consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you stick to a balanced weightloss diet and if necessary put you on a low-GI, low-fat diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise!