Ask an expert

05 Mar 2003

HELP PLEASE!! Severe liver damage & still drinking + other worrying symptoms
My Dad (63) - Alcoholic - Had a triple bypass 7 years ago. Has had 3 strokes including 1 after bypass. ± 2 years ago had liver failure - small % of liver still functioning. Has history of kidney stones. Borderline Diabetic - still eats sweets daily. Still drinking heavily. Symptoms now: Eats very little & when he does within minutes stomach runs (runny, tar like stool, diarohea for last ± 4 months), last ± 2 weeks had severe pains across chest (left side - no pain in left arm) & upper abdomen (left side & middle), extremely irritated, losing memory, agitated, impatient, unreasonable, tired, no strength, nausea, irrational. Sleeps 12 - 15 hours a day, bruises & bleeds very quickly & all the time for slightest bump or scratch. All this and he REFUSES to see a doctor. What is the prognosis - HOW BAD IS IT? PLEASE ADVISE URGENTLY.
Answer 403 views

01 Jan 0001

WD, I answered your question before, but somehow it must have gotten lost in cyberspace. I’ll post it again for you. I’m sorry that my answer sounds so harsh, but somebody has to say it. Good luck.
WD, his prognosis is bad especially since he refuses to see a doctor. You have to understand that you can’t make him go to the doctor and that he is allowed to decide for himself. He should be told that he is being very selfish and that he should expect no help from you – those that don’t to hear will have to feel. You should canalise your energy in a more rewarding direction, like the rest of the family. It sounds like your dad doesn’t want to be helped, so maybe the best would be to let him have his way (it might just shock him back to reality). I know I sound heartless, but this is not the first time I’m confronted with something like this and that’s why I give the advice I do. People like your dad tend to get more attention than they deserve whilst the rest of the family has to suffer. Think about it – it makes sense. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18743 votes