Question

Help with Boerboel
Hi everyone

My name is Graham Herold. I bought myself a Boerboel about five years ago, but am having a lot of problems with a skin disease that he has. His joints gets swollen and blood starts seeping through the skin. Between his toes and under his feet the skin becomes swollen and if left for a few days without attention, he can hardly walk. I've had the dog, Bruno to a vet a couple of times, but she can't seem to find a cure for him. She gives him a treatment of cortizone and antibiotics (Purbac) which helps while he uses the medication. But after the pills are up, the illness starts again.

Besides this problem he is a healthy, happy dog, and very loveable. I would just like to know if anyone of you've had the same problem or maybe heard of something similar and can give me any help as to treatment I can try.

I thank you
Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cybervet

The condition you describe is called deep pyoderma, and refers to the deep and chronic bacterial infection of the skin. The most important thing to know is that this condition is often not curable, but rather controllable. That means that medication may need to given on and off or even continuously for the rest of its life. Obviously, this depends on the particular patient and its particular skin problem. Occasionally underlying allergies may result in this deep infection and control of the allergy may result in fewer bacterial infection attacks. Generally speaking, the most important treatment will be the use of antibiotics. Antibiotics need to be given until all signs of infection is under control. That means that antibiotics are often given for three or four months at a time, or even longer. With the right choice of antibiotics this can be very successful to control this condition, while resulting in no significant side-effects. There are no shortcuts. Additional treatment will be determined to eat individual patient and may include shampoos, hypoallergenic diets, antifungal treatments, etc.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town