Question

Help with exercise

Just would like to know:
Can a trampoline really help you to loose weight or tone your body better?
Is it a good form of exercise or are you just wasting your time?
If it is a good excersis,can you help me with a couple of exercises that you can do on a trampoline?

HI R

THere's not much information on trampolining, to be honest with you. I can tell you that is trampolining burns roughly the same amount of energy as gentle walking, perhaps a little more, depending on how much you do it and how hard. However, it's a pretty gentle exercise by comparison to things like jogging, cycling and perhaps aerobics etc. Having said that, it's not all a lost cause, and I certainly think that if your constraint is time and perhaps the expense of a treadmill, then trampolining is not the worst thing you can do by any means. I think that practically however, I would much rather see trampolining included as part of a programme that maybe also contains some walking or jogging for example.

I must confess that I am not convinced that trampolining alone will offer a very effective form of cardio training to become fit. I believe that the intensity that you get from trampolining is very difficult to raise to the sorts of levels you could easily to in running, cycling etc. and for that reason, I don't believe it is as effective a weight loss or fitness tool as these activities. Having said that, I do believe that it could be part of a well balanced exercise routine, because it offers basically no impact and certain exercises that are good for balance, flexibility and to a lesser extent fitness. HOwever, I do think that you should consider making trampolining PART of, rather than the the focus of training.