Ask an expert

22 Mar 2007

Hi there....

I'f got a question 2 ask.When my husband and i have intercourse it does not last long enough for me to be satisfied.It takes him not even 2 minutes then he's done.We did try the Viagra 50 mg but that does not even have a reaction 2 him,meaning,he does not get in the mood for sex.Please help me i need advise.He does not want 2 go and see a doctor,he said it is a waist for money.My husband is 29 and me 25 off age.We do have a baby and only have sex once a week.


Answer 457 views

01 Jan 0001

I am not sure why or whogave him a script for Viagra, as the useisfor Erectile Dysfunction, which doesnot seem to be his problem. Viagra is not an aphrodisiac either.

You husband suffer's from Premature or rapid ejaculation and the treatment is as follows:
Premature ejaculation (PE) occurs when a man ejaculates ("comes") too soon during sexual intercourse. Often, men with PE have trouble lasting long enough to help their partners have an orgasm. This can lead to dissatisfaction with sex, stress in the relationship, and feelings of shame or anxiety. But if you or your partner suffer from premature ejaculation (PE), you're not alone. Between 30% and 70% of men have PE - it's one of the most common sexual problems in men.
Why does PE happen? The exact cause is unknown. In most cases, it's believed to be psychological, but new information suggests that there may be a physical side as well. PE is more common in younger men.
Only 1-12% of men with PE seek treatment. But PE can be treated - here's how.

Techniques you can try at home (can be used alone or in combination):
Squeeze technique: When the man feels a state of excitement where he may ejaculate, his partner gives the head of his penis a short sharp squeeze to prevent ejaculation from occurring. Do not attempt this once the ejaculation has started.
Stop-and-start technique: Just before the man is about to ejaculate, he and his partner stop moving and the man tries to relax and control his ejaculation. Pausing at this time gives the man a better sense of how he feels just before ejaculation. Eventually, this helps him condition his response to sexual stimulation so that he can last longer.

Don't worry if these techniques don't work right away - it may take weeks of practice to master them. You may wish to speak to a sex therapist or your doctor to help you learn the techniques. A sex therapist or counselor may also be able to help you iron out personal and relationship issues.

If you've tried these techniques and they just don't seem to work, it may be time to visit your doctor, who can refer you to other treatments that may help, such as counseling or medications. Although there are no medications currently approved for treating PE in South Africa, some are being studied: topical anaesthetics (to numb the penis and hopefully delay ejaculation), SSRIs (a type of depression medication believed to block chemicals in the brain involved in ejaculation), and PDE-5-inhibitors (better known as sildenafil [Viagra®], vardenafil [Levitra®], and tadalafil [Cialis®]).

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18601 votes