Question

Hepatitis
Hi, my brothers child has been sick for almost two weeks, and they were unable to find out what was wrong with him. On Sunday they visited, and he had a slight yellow colour. On Monday he was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. My children do go to the same school, and they had contact on sunday by means of a hug and handshake. Do I need to take them to get injected for the Hepatits virus? If so, will I be able to get it done at a chemist such as Dischem?

Sands

Hepatitis A is transmitted by the fecal-oral route, which means that general hygiene will prevent spreading of Hepatitis A. Frequent washing of the hands, especially after visiting the toilet etc, are good measures to prevent the transmission of Hepatitis A.

The vaccine which is available at your pharmacy, travel clinic or your doctor, will prevent 95% of people from future infection.