Question

hernia - elderly Dad - op / no op
Hi CyberDoc,

A query about hernia ops these days. My Dad is over 70, has had emphesema for years and has recently discovered a hernia. (He had one on the opposite side over 20 yrs ago and was operated on)
Now that regular anathesia is out of the question, we (and my Mom) thought the docs would perhaps just suggest a 'belt' like the 'old days' but it seems they want to operated after all - using an epidural.
Wondering why they would choose to operate rather than revert to 'old days' solution? Couldn't he just have a belt/support and go from there? The fact that he's older now and unwell anyway makes me worry of course!
Thanks & best regards
J

Dear Jay
An Epidural would not affect his lungs and heart at all ( which will be the danger) and as one work only superficial the chances of anything going wrong is low. The danger of leaving it is that a piece of bowel may go into the hernia sac and cause obstruction which will need emergency operation with full anaesthetic. One has to weigh up the risks.