Question

high blood pressure
I am 27yrs old,weight 97 kilograms 1,8 meters tall. I am currently having high blood pressure problems. Could u please recommend a diet for me as i would like to reduce my wight as well as eating healthyand what i can and cannot eat as well,please.

thank you
ceraj

Dear Ceraj
If you could lose some weight, eat foods rich in nutrients that lower blood pressure and do some exercise, your bp should come down. Your present BMI of 30 is high and it would be desirable to reduce to about 78 kg to get into the normal range. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake by eating less fat and more fibre. Nutrients associated with a reduction in blood pressure are calcium, magnesium and potassium which are mainly found in low-fat milk and dairy products, unprocessed grains and cereals and fresh fruit and vegetables. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. Use the diet, but try and replace 1 portion of meat or fish a day with low-fat or skimmed yoghurt or cottage cheese to boost your calcium intake. Eat plenty of salads (be careful not to use fat-rich dressings) to boost potassium and magnesium intake. Ask your dr if you are allowed to exercise and what type he/she would recommend, e.g. brisk walking or cycling or swimming and start doing such exercise regularly to improve adherence to the diet and help you to relax - all factors that assist with reducing bp.