Question

22 Apr 2006

high blood pressure
thanks a lot for your kind suggestion.
i ve many other queries also .now I am 33 yr old.i got BP when i was 27 yr.old.i got all checkup but all of them are normal.my doctor earliear gave me AMLOPRESS for BP.Now he has changed it to REMIPRESS 5mg,ECSIT-SR,ESLO-AT(AMLODIPIN 2.5mg & ATENOLOL 50mg) .as I am married for the lat one year.So please suggest me should i ve these tablets or not.
because rightnow i laso want to have a baby.
HeartDoc

Hello again Getz,

No matter which medication you are on, its not working. Good blood pressure control means that your BP remains at a fairly constant level, regardless of whether you are hungry, tired, etc. PLEASE have yourself assessed by a specialist cardiologist soon – I cannot emphasis this strongly enough. You are in great danger of suffering irreversible harm to your heart and kidneys amongst others.

For you to fall pregnant with this kind of BP problem would be a total disaster, and you may end up either losing your baby, or having a stroke. Yes, there is usually a drop in BP during pregnancy, in normal women. But you are a resistant hypertensive, so pregnancy may well make matters worse.

What you need first and foremost, is to get your hypertension under control, before it damages your heart and kidneys. Once under control, your cardiologist can advise you about the safest management of a pregnancy. In fact, you should discuss with a cardiologist the safest means of contraception for you right now, as the pill is relatively contraindicated in poorly managed hypertension. If you are on the pill now, it may be making the control of your hypertension more difficult. BUT PLEASE DO NOT STOP THE PILL UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO DO TO BY A SPECIALIST, as the effects of a pregnancy, with your bad hypertension at present, may be even worse.

Good luck.

HeartDoc