Question

High Cholesterol

I have been taking thyroxine 100mcgs for about 12 years now and have my thyroid and cholesterol levels checked yearly. However in October 2002 I went for my routine tests and was told that I needed to increase my thyroxine and that I also had a high cholesterol count (about 6). I was put on 200mcgs of thyroxine and went back 6 weeks later when it was reduced to 125mcgs but my cholesterol was still high. I eat a sensible diet and walk around 2miles daily with my dog and drink about 7 units of alchohol a week. However my dad died of a heart attack when he was 62 and my sister who is 48 has had angina for 7 years. The docter said as I had a family history of heart disease I should consider taking a statin (simvastatin) to lower my cholesterol. I am nearly 50, and I am post menopausal (not had a period for 2 years) and I am not taking HRT. I do not really want to take medication if I can reduce my cholesterol, but as the doctor pointed out, I live quite healthily anyway and reducing my fat intake and taking more excersise may not benifit me as the problem could be hereditary. Please can you tell me if there are some other alternatives that I could try? As the cholesterol problem has just been a recent occurence, would it not go down in time if I am taking the correct amount of thyroxine? Can you help me please?

Toshie, you’re more than welcome to wait another 6 weeks and see what happens. It’s not like you’ve had high cholesterol for the last ten years, so another 6 weeks won’t really matter that much. If it’s still high after another 6 weeks, you should really consider taking the tablets. You do everything to stay healthy and then messing everything up by not taking the cholesterol tablets is a bit contradictory. I have been taking cholesterol tablets for a long time already and really don’t have any problems. Good luck.