Question

High Cholesterol: Please Help!
My blood cholesterol reading is 8.7. The reading on my bad cholesterol is 6.5. Is there any natural/ herbal product to use, other that Lipitor, to lower my cholesterol reading to the preferred level? Will it be necessary to make an appointment at a Cardiologist to do a full exemination?

Dear Mam
It is always a good idea to have a complete checkup just to make sure that there are no additional complications. The dietary treatment for high total and LDL-cholesterol (the 'bad' one) is to a) decrease your intake of fat b) decrease your intake of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat c) increase your intake of dietary fibre and protective antioxidants. You therefore need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet which includes plenty of oats, fresh fruit and vegetables, unprocessed grains and cereals, plus low-fat milk and dairy products, moderate amounts of lean meat and only 4 eggs a week, plenty of fish, plenty of legumes, and small quantities of olive oil. There is a special margarine called Flora pro.activ which contains plant sterols. Check in your supermarket and use this margarine as some patients have reduced their cholesterol levels by up to 30% with this product. Ask your doctor if you are allowed to do exercise and if so, start doing regular exercise like brisk walking (join Walk of Life) or rowing and work on a treadmill (join a good gym). Click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' and read the articles on low-fat foods, exercise, etc. It also helps to take Salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake which also lowers cholesterol.