Question

high fat low carbohydrate diet?
I have just read a book entitled something like Eat fat and Get thin, describing the benefits of high fat and protein diets. One chapter gives convincing research that cholestrol has not really been scientifically linked to diet properly, or heart attacks. As someone who wants to lose a little weight and generally be a healthy eater this has confused me immensely! It was convincingly presented, and written logically. What are your feelings?

Dear Dee
When I hear about these theories and books (probably written by some layperson who is out to make a lot of money), I get so angry. If this person says that the link between a high intake of dietary fat, esp saturated fat and cholesterol, has not been well researched, then that person has not taken the trouble to do decent literature research. This field has been research over and over again for about 60 years! And while recently researchers refined their methods and found that the most important factors in the genesis of heart disease and other degenerative diseases such as certain types of cancer, are the total fat content and the saturated fat content of the diet, in addition to the cholesterol content of the diet, this does not mean that we can merrily start eating as much fat, saturated fat and cholesterol as we like. So please don't start eating a high-protein diet which is automatically high in fat and cholesterol, rather stick to a balanced low-fat diet to lose those kgs. I think I should also write a book on some strange and outlandish diet subject to make lots of money! but my training prohibits me from doing this. This book is obviously a rehash of the 'Atkins Diet' which has been doing the rounds for about 30 years.