Question

1h ago

High levels of testosterone

I recently got the results of my blood test. Everything is normal except my gynae says my testosterone levels are too high. What could cause this & will this lead to problems conceiving?( I had a miscarriage early in the year as well.)

Thanks,
fertility expert

Dear Popple

I do apologise for the delay in response.

Raised levels of testosterone on a single occasion should not be takent too seriosly. There is a difference between total testosterone and free testosterone index and if what you are refering to is a free testosterone index, than I would recommend that you repeat this test to make sure that the situation is that of raised testosterone.

The increase free testosterone could be possibly associated with other syndromes such as polycystic ovarian disease and also hyper-androgenism as a result of some form of ovarian pathology. In some cases it could also be a reflection of changes in sex hormone binding globulin which is a protein produced by the liver. As there are many differnt possible associations, I would advice you to repeat the test and you are more than welcome to re-address the issue with me once this has been compelted and I would appreciate it if you could give me a full breakdown of all the other blood est as well as this would allow me to put together the entire senario.