Question

High Protien Diets
I' m into body building and everyone knows that before a compettiton or event one has to follow a hight protien, low carb diet to get lean.

My concern is - how dangerous is this? Dailly consumptiion of carbs are limited to about 100 - 150 grams, which is comsumed during the day only. This amount drops to approx 50 grams a week prior to the compettion. A diet like this can last up to three months and longer - depending on season.

Only lean protien is allowed, like fish, free range chicken, and so on, with whey protien shakes. No sugar of saturated fat and fruits are a no-no, including milk - fat free inclusive.

The results are really good and my diet is supplimented with suppliments like Glutemine and CLA and an immune booster, incl vitiamins.

Again, I' m all about sensible and healthy living. The diet is hard, but not impossible and to me the side effects are minimal, cmpared to others who have followed it. However, i still want to be around for some time to enjoy my body. Please advise!

Dear Frost
I understand that you are participating in body building and that the general non-scientific recommendations are high-protein prior to an event. I am just glad that you are using low-fat proteins. Because you are doing this continuously, I would like you, if possible, to consult the dietitians at the University of Potchefstroom about the long-term effects and also on how you can achieve your muscle growth without putting a strain on your system. Phone the University of Potchefstroom and ask to speak to the Department of Human Nutrition about diets for body builders.
Hope you do well in the competitions