Question

high salt intake and loosing weight
i am a real big salt addict, and am trying to loose weight very badly. i am on a diet and exercise 3 times a week (jogging for more than 30min) i just whant to know if salt makes you fat, or will my high salt intake make it more difficult for me to loose weight?

Dear Joan
It is not a good idea to eat salt in large quantities because it can a) harm your kidneys b) upset your so-called electrolyte balance (the balance between certain salts and water in the body) c) cause hypertension or high blood pressure. Try to wean yourself gradually by reducing the amount of salt you add to food and the types of food you eat (less salted and pickled and processed foods). If you have a disturbed electrolyte balance and/or overworked kidneys, then you will tend to retain water which will make you weigh more, but this 'weight' does not represent actual fat. Make sure that you drink 3-4 glasses of water in addition to all the other liquids you consume to help your kidneys flush out the salt and to prevent dehydration when you exercise or when it is very hot.
Take care