Ask an expert

17 Feb 2003

Highly Strung?????
Hi There,

I am a 24 year old woman, I have quite a stressful job (high targets to meet etc.) I think I suffer with mild anxiety. Every morning, I wake up and I have something worrying me, even if it is stupid. My boyfriend often tells me to relax and stop making a big thing out of nothing. I get a knot in my stomach, I feel sick, my heart pounds very loud and I often want to burst into tears to relieve the symptoms. I am easily irritated and I cannot control it. I have changed my pill three times in the last year so I do not think it is hormonal. I went on a cough mixture last week (for a persistant cough) and it has relaxed me quite a bit. It has Codeine in it, so I gather that is what has relaxed me. I cannot live on cough syrup though. Is there any mild sedative/anti-depressant or something that I may take for a little while to calm me? Or do I have to go to a doctor and get a prescription. I heard that St Johns' Wort is pretty good, but I want something that works quickly and that doesn't affect the Pill.

Answer 365 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Pepsi,
This sounds very like a mild Anxiety Disorder, and would probably respond well to using a carefully prescribed tranquillizer for a relatively short time. These work quite quickly, shouldn't affect the Pill, and one would just want to be cautious to avoid really long-term use, as some people can eventually become dependent on them ( as they can become dependent on cough syrup !)
Cough mixtures contain various ingredients, including often alcohol and some mildly sedative anti-histamine or similar drug, which can produce a relaxing effect. Consider your experience a useful indicator that using some proper medicine, prescribed by your doctor, could be more effective, and safer.
St John's Wort might, according to some reports, affect the Pill, and is, ater all, very similar to Prozac in the way it works.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.