Question

Highs and lows
Dear Cybershrink
You are correct of course! I’m BP and I’m on 300 mg Lamictin and 50 mg Seroqual. I’m not used to highs - they are few and far in between - and consequently have a major problem telling how high I’m becoming, and if I need to see my shrink (which my husband – who gets highs that are really scary - won’t allow). From what you have told me, I understand that I might have been a bit too high. I think the Seroquel helped to put a lid on the high getting out of control. I’ve calmed down a lot, but it still feels as if I don’t need much to set it off again. Being high is very nice, but the racing thoughts really gets to me - all these thoughts and half-thoughts reverberating in which feel like an empty scull. I’m looking for a trip switch. Sorry, I’m still ‘talking’ too much – just trying to get rid of some of the thoughts.

Dear El-Jo,
Nice to hear from you again. Highs, like lows have the problem that it is indeed hard to judge for oneself how high or low, and how unrealistic, one might be becoming ; because one of the effects of depression, and of hypomania, is to warp one's judgement itself.
I remember when I practised in London, a City Gent who when really high, was sent to see me, and we discovered he had just spent the entire family fortune on buying up all supplies of shaving brushes, as he had convinced himself that he could corner the market in these and hold the nation to ransome, selling his brushes at some enormous premium. Needless to say, as he cooled off a little, he realized that this idea was not quite the stroke of genius he had assumed. I suspect he is still trying to finish selling off his stocks of shaving brushes.
yes, the Seroquel may help to limit the high, and to unscramble some of those racing thoughts.