Question

Hip Dysplasia
I have a 5yr old Border Collie with hip dysplasia (not 2 sure bout the spelling). We are giving him Rimadyl. What I would like to know is if you could tell me, or lead me to a site that I can learn how to massage his leg, or hip, and I''ve noticed his back is also affected. I don''t have the cash to let him have the op, and I really regret it. The vet has told us to let him rather have quality of life, hence the pills, But I wud like to be able to do the " physio therapy"  on him to give him xtra relief. Please your help would be appreciated.
Cybervet

Hi Sandy

I have looked on the internet and unable to find an article explaining the physiotherapy techniques required. There are a couple of books available through Amazon that may assist - for example: Animal physiotherapy: assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of animals.

Swimming may help in assisting to prevent muscle atrophy of the hind legs. You should also consider Glucosamine supplements.

As you know surgery is the ideal solution - try and discuss a payment plan with your vet an pay him over the year. Alternatively, seek the help from a welfare society and give a generous donation.

I hope this helps