Question

Histrionic Personality Disorder
My daughter was diagnosed this week with Histrionic Personality Disorder. At least we know now where her antics are coming from but what is it that actually causes a personality disorder, if anything? Or is it perhaps a genetic predisposition? She is 29 now and the diagnosis fits her like a glove. And how can I still be supportive of her without surrending my own sense of self - because she is, as you will know, a master manipulator!!

Its not really easy to know what causes a personality disorder --- it's generally something inborn, which one grows up with, and part of who you are, rather than somehing you become. It's not your fault, I hasten to add, as a master manipulator might try to convince you otherwise ! It might need a skilled counsellor, familiar with such problems, to help to guide you as to how to avoid being manipulable, and to help, to the limited extent possible, to steer your daughter towards a more productive and fruitful life-style.