Question

hiv concerns
Hi can you get hiv through spit - ie if I shared a sucker with someone who has hiv can I get it?

Dear Jp
although HIV can be detected in saliva, it is not regarded as infectious and there are no documented cases of HIV transmission through saliva as far as I know. There is a protein in the mouth that attaches itself to the surface of blood cells and blocks infection by HIV. This proteien apparently reduces the concentration of HIV in saliva to non-infectious levels. However if the person has blood in the saliva ( i.e. injury to the mouth) the risk may be higher.