Question

HIV POSITIVE

I have been diagnosed HIV not long ago (October 2002) I managed my stress and tried to console myself. What I want to know is it possible to know when I got this virus because I am married and I do not want to accuse my husband. Another thing I have a pain around my waist, is it because of this virus or is it something else and please advise about tablets that I should start using but my doctor is giving me cozole as antibiotic and ascorbic acid, folic acid and injection for my blood for I have low blood pressure. Please help me doctor, I also have a medical aid and I called them and I have told them about my situation. Please help me

Thank you

Dear lulu,
I'm not a virus expert, but here goes. I don't think it's practical, by tests done now, to determine when or from who, you might have contracted the virus. If you've had sexual intercourse with more than one person, it could have been from any of them, if they are themselves HIVpositive, though they might not know whether they are or are not. Or one might have received a contaminated blood transfusion ; or have somehow shared a needle wih someone using injected drugs, and received the infection that way.
After we are exposed to the virus, there's a variable period between getting infected and having one's blood test turn positive, so, unlike a pregnancy, one can't so easily count backwards and figure out when the exposure might have been.
Check out the facilities available to you, as any lab, doctor, or service which performs an AIDS test, ought to provide counselling, to discuss the findings, and answer all your questions, as they arise.
Some peple remain HIV positive for years without further problems developing ; it's hard to predict the course of the infection. It's clearly useful to look after oneself well, so vitamins and a good diet, with proper exercise, etc., can be valuable.
An without accusing anyone, isn't this something you need to talk over with your husband ? It's very possible that he is also HIV positive, even if he has not been tested and does not know his HIV status. His infection could possibly have caused yours ; or it could be the other way round --- and if he is still HIV negative, it may be necessary to take precautions ( eg condoms ) to reduce the risk of him catching the virus.