Question

HIV transmission?
If I were to go to a restaurant and ordered a salad that was made by an HIV positive person, and that person cut themselves and their blood got onto the salad. If I ate the salad and had an open sore in my mouth, would it not be very possible to contract the disease?, as I believe that HIV can live for days at room temperature outside the body.

Steve, there are a lot of ifs in this scenario, but lets suppose it happens. It is still highly unlikely that you will be infected because of the following reasons (amongst others).
1. The person will have to bleed quite severely on the salad for you to become infected. I assume you won’t eat a salad that has a visible amount of blood on it, so there goes theory no. 1.
2. Very few restaurants will dare to serve you something on which blood was spilled. The people working in the kitchen know that the risk of a lawsuit is just to big.
3. Even if they do serve you the salad, they will surely wash it before they give it to you.
4. The salt and vinegar will probably kill the virus before it can infect you.
5. Your saliva will probably kill the virus before it can infect you.
6. A HI virus will not be able to survive for long in a kitchen. It is possible for the virus to survive outside the human body, but then it has to be in a moist and warm environment. The classic example is sperm in a damp towel and you’ll have to agree that none of them are regularly found in kitchens.:-)
At the end of the day, unsafe sex and sharing needles are the only ways of easily being infected for normal people under normal circumstances. Good luck.