Question

holding breath
My son is now 3 years old and has since a baby held his breath and sometimes even passed out, yesterday my husband gave him a smack for being cheecky, he held his breath turned purple, passed out and his eyes rolled back and his arms turned in. Do you recommend that I take him to a paediatrician to be checked, his speech is not that good, he has a good vacab but he doesnt pronounce things well (we are going to have his speech assesed by a speech therapist at his school) do you think that holding his breath could have caused his speech problem? what do you recommend? I am worried that his brain could be affected by him doing this. Thank you

Worried, what you describe is called a cyanotic breath holding attack and is basically the “mother of all” tantrums. The way to treat it is by completely ignoring him when it happens, but before you can start to do this, you will have to take him to the paediatrician to make sure that nothing else is the matter. Good luck.