Question

Home pregnancy test...

I recently did a home pregnancy test (on the 14th Jan - which was 2 weeks after intercourse). The test was negative but just to be sure I did another test on the 18th, that test was negative as well (Only one clear pink stripe!). I did everything according to the instructions (I did the test in the morning with my first urine sample.)

What are the chances that the tests might still be wrong? I'm about 12 days late with my period,but my period has never been like clockwork (very irregular)

Any help would be gr8ly appreciated!

Missing a menstrual period is a lot more common than most people realize. It often occurs as a result of undergoing a lot of stress, which is certainly possible at this time of year . Stress can disrupt the normal hormonal balance in your body, causing your period to come late, or skip for one month. Some other typical causes of missed periods include undergoing any major changes in your life, such as moving, starting a new job or a new romance, or changed eating or exercise habits. Losing a significant amount of weight can also cause you to miss a menstrual period.

As you are worried at this point, because you have had intercourse (unprotected??). I would suggets that you do a blood test. If it still is negative and you find that this condition persists over the next couple of months, you should visit a health care provider at Women's Health to try to determine the cause of your amenorrhea. And yes, get some reliable contraceptives.

Dr Elna Mcintosh