Question

Hopeless situation
Dear Cybershrink

How does one continue with life when everything is getting too much? My world is shrinking fast and there is no way out. The situation is really hopeless and it is getting worse day by day. My psychiatrist recently repeatedly suggested hospitalisation, but the problem is that my husband won’t allow me to be hospitalised. I’m not even allowed to visit the psychiatrist. I have to sneak behind my husband’s back if I want to go. He becomes furious when I attempt to discuss it with him. I don’t know what to do anymore. I believe I’m a danger to myself.

Dear El-Jo,
I am appalled to hear way you say about your husband's refusal to enable you to receive the treatment you deserve. he has absolutely no right to interfere with your right to see whoever you please, and to receive medical treatment which may be life-saving. He has no right to refuse to allow you to see any doctor, or to acept hospital admission. Interfering in thsi way with your treatment is abusive. What is he so scared that other people might find out about him ?
Some ideas --- the sitation mya very well feel hopeless, but isn't hopeless. Discuss the situation with your shrink. If you have your own medical Aid cover, or are covered by your husband's medical Aid, you can receive whatever treatment is needed, without his consent ( slavery became illeal some time ago). Try calling a help group like POWA, which advises abused women like you, and can advise on your legal rights and alternatives to avoid this unreasonable control. ospitalization may be a good idea, both to enable more intensive care of your condition, and to provide relief from your husband's bullying, and to enable others, perhaps, to see how he behaves.