Question

How do I calculate my min and max heart rate?
I am a "rookie runner" preparing to run my 1st Comrades this year.

I have just acquired a heart rate monitor and according to my date of birth which I had to enter into the monitor, my heart rate should be between 118 (min) and 155 (max). I have been training for ±8 months now and don't know if my fitness level should aslo have an influence on my min and max HR. If so, how shoud I calculate these in order for me to train correctly and safely.

Please help!

Kind regards

Rookie

Hi Rookie

That range is probably fine, since as you become fitter, your exercising heart rate adjusts two ways:

a) it'll be lower at a given intensity
b) you'll be able to push harder at a lower heart rate

So, you are probably training harder than you used to, but your heart rate isn't higher due to cardiovascular adjustments.

I hope this makes sense.

Good luck with Comrades - an AWESOME experience!