Question

How do I increase my sex drive??
I have no sex drive whatsoever, this causes problems between my husband and I, is there something I can do or a drug that I can use to help me get my sex drive back? I am desperate!!
sexologist

Dear Ana
A low sex drive in a woman is not uncommon.
The first thing for you to do is to make sure you don't have an underlying medical problem, such as a low thyroid, iron or testosterone level. (woman can be low in testosterone too!) Thereafter the solution to your problem will depend on whether your libido has been very low your whole life or if it is more recent. If more recent, then you would need to reflect on the possible causes that could be interfering with your libido, including stress, poor sleep, alcohol, medications, relationship issues or emotional conditions like depression. If you have always experienced a low libido, then you may have to lower your expectations but this should not mean you can't enjoy sex. When in a long term relationship, the sexual excitement within a couple will usually subside, and so it can become a challenge to re-create the conditions under which your libido can be released. You may have to be creative, think out of the box, introduce more novelty and excitement and perhaps take a few risks. Either way, its important for you to acknowledge that this is something you are doing with your husband rather than alone. There are many books and websites dedicated to this area of frustration. One such book that has been critically acclaimed is called 'Mating in Captivity' by Esther Perel.

If you continued to have problems with this, don't hesitate to seek professional help.

SASHA. For further information please consult SASHA’S website at www.sexualhealth.qw.co.za/dru. For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com