Question

HOW MUCH ENERGY DO I REALLY NEED?
How much energy (calories) should I be eating if I cycle indoors 3 days during the week for 40 minutes, and do 40 minutes weight training on the upper body along with a 20 minute cycle the remaining two days. Weight = 53 / 54kg and am 1.68m tall. My fitness bike says a burn + - 230 calories every 20 minutes. Would this be considered a low or medium workout? I have been eating between 1.200 and 1.500 kcal per day. I cont seem to get rid of this little roll on my stomach. When I cut down on calories I don't feel like I have enough energy to exercise in the morning but if I eat then the stomach remains. I cont seem to find a balance that will get rid of this problem. Can you please give me a little advice. I have been doing this close to 3 years now.

Dear Code
According to the USA Recommended Daily Allowance for energy an adult woman requires 2 200 kcal and an adult man 2 900 kcal per day. You don't indicate if you are male or female, but if you are a woman, then your energy intake of 1 200 to 1500 kcal a day is between 1000 and 700 kcal less than you actually require. This is mirrored in your low BMI of 19,1. No wonder you are feeling tired when you cut down on energy intake even more. The fact that you have a small amount of fat deposited on your tummy, is probably genetic and if you are a woman, a gender-related phenomenon. I presume you are doing exercises that target the tummy when you do weight training? If not, then ask your instructor to add such exercises to your programme (sit-ups, etc). Women tend to deposit fat on the stomach, breasts and hips, men on the stomach and the neck. Certain beauty salons offer treatment for problem areas such as body wrapping - phone Lillian Terry International at (012) 361-2606 and ask about the Cellulito Aromeopathic Complex treatments. I must caution you not to ingest too little energy and also not to further reduce your weight, as there is always the danger of developing an eating disorder which is not the way to go.
Take care