Question

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?
I did treadmill for 40 minutes and did a kata box marathon yesterday. My polar said I burnt 1450 kcal. I did eat losts of cheese during the day and a good slab of chocolate so is it ok to train this hard when I have eaten like this. What should I burn at the gym? I do mostly strenght training now and cardio like this maybe twice a week but for 1 hour not 2 hours and 40 minutes. How many calories should I eat on the days I do strengh training (which doesnt use much energy) and how much on the days I do cardio? Age 27, weight 52, height 1.68. Thanks

Dear Kate
Seeing that your BMI = 18,4, which is rather low (the normal range is 18-25), I think you need to increase your intake of a variety of foods, but particularly of low-GI carbs to fuel your exercise. You need to use an energy drink before, during and immediately after your cardio training (Energade, Powerade, Lucozade - experiment to see which one agrees best with you) to replenish your glycogen stores. Increase your intake of low-fat and high-carb foods so that you don't lose even more weight. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Try to include a food with a low-GI at each meal and also increase your high-fibre carbs so that you obtain sufficient energy for your daily requirements and don't try and lose more weight otherwise you may become anorexic.