Question

22 Apr 2006

how to be ONE
I'm a 16 year old girl. I'm one of an identical twin. I look exactly like my twinsister, we have the same hobbies, friends, clothes, IQ... and parents! No one knows me: they know us. I can't get a boyfriend and different friends, because no one knows the difference. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, she's my best friend, but I'm so tired of being "one of the twins"! How can I be jus ONE? (without dying my blonde hair black, wearing silly clothes) Help me!!!
Teen expert
teen expert

This is a very real dilemma for many identical twins, and even though you get on very well with your twin it is important that you do have a good sense of who you are as an individual. If you have a good sense of your individuality others will pick up on this.

There will always be those things that make you and your twin difficult to differentiate, but you can begin to gently point out that you are two different people - even by letting people know which twin you are by giving them your name - repeatedly if necessary! You dont have to go to drastic measures to look different but do you both always wear the same things and have your hair the same length etc?

You should also find times where you go out separately. You should also speak to your twin about this to see if she is feeling the same way - you can then construct a battle plan together!

Step one is to feel like an individual yourself. Enjoy being a twin, but also enjoy being YOU!