Ask an expert

11 Aug 2011

How to check fertility for me &amp  husband? No kids yet
We are in our early 30''s are arent ready to have children yet.

We also dont want to start trying in a few years time only to find out there are fertility issues. I understand it gets more tricky for a female after 34yrs.

Is there is a way I can see for how much longer my eggs will be good, and the same for my husband?

Is this a common test in South Africa &  very costly?

Thank you
Answer 356 views
Fertility expert
Fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Interested

Your husband should arrange for a semen analysis. In your situation, a series of blood tests including the more recent AMH reserve test should be done to evaluate potential for egg production. Also remember a full gynaecological evaluation is always advisable and tubal patency status must also be assessed.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9324 votes
67% - 18748 votes